Part Ⅲ Vocabulary and Structure (20 points)
Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the centre.
36. Some of this wheat came from Canada. What about ______?
A. another B. the other C. others D. the rest
37. I will now ______ Mr. Webster to drink the health of the happy pair.
A. call on B. call up C. call for D. call off
38. July is the month ______ is usually the hottest.
A. whose weather B. the weather
C. its weather D. when the weather
39. Because my scissors are dull, I’m going to buy a new ______.
A. one B. ones C. pair D. scissors
40. ______ great was the destruction that the South took decades to recover.
A. Very B. Too C. Such D. So
41. Everyone should keep a sense of responsibility ______ what he is to do.
A. of B. for C. with D. to
42. The statue is believed ______ by a professional thief a couple of weeks ago.
A. to have stolen B. to be stolen
C. having been stolen D. to have been stolen
43. Neither Bill nor his parents ______ at home.
A. are B. is C. was D. has
44. I don’t think there are several characteristics of the novel ______ special attention.
A. worthwhile B. worth of C. worthy of D. worthless
45. ______ people can speak a foreign language perfectly.
A. Not much B. Little
C. Only a small number D. Few
46. If I had more time, I should ______ table tennis as a hobby.
A. take to B. take up C. take on D. take over
47. The thief caught on the spot by tile policeman denied ______ anything.
A. to do B. to have done C. do D. doing
48. I won’t have a whisky, thank you. It’s not that I don’t drink, ______ that I don’t drink and drive.
A. but also B. except C. otherwise D. but rather
49. A calculating machine has the advantage of speed and ______.
A. having accuracy B. accuracy
C. being accurate D. accurate
50. Look at the pavilion ______ in the lake.
A. reflected B. reflecting
C. to reflect D. to be reflected
51. ______ help me, I had to do it all alone.
A. There is no one to B. There being no one to
C. Being no one D. with no one
52. Every government that refuses to meet the needs of its people must accept the ______.
A. endings B. consequences C. results D. possibilities
53. If only the committee ______the regulations and put them into effect as soon as possible.
A. approve B. will approve
C. can approve D. would approve
54. It is because she is too inexperienced ______she does not know bow to deal with the situation.
A. that B. therefore C. so that D. so
55. Mike said that the house was ______ expensive for him.
A. very much B. so much C. far too D. about
56. He ______ live in the country than in the city.
A. had better B. prefers to
C. would rather D. would like
57. Let’s start again from where we ______.
A. left over B. left off C. left out D. left aside
58. New difficulties kept ______ as they built the railway tunnel.
A. arising B. arousing C. ascending D. aggressing
59. Improvements of all kinds ______ in television so that reception will be as close to perfect as possible.
A. are constantly being made B. are being made constantly
C. will be being made D. will constantly be made
60. A good newspaper publishes both ______ and foreign news.
A. diplomatic B. democratic C. domestic D. dramatic
61. The selling price of that house and ______ $25 000.
A. many furniture are B. some furniture is
C. the furniture is D. many pieces of furniture are
62. Without air, ______ no wind or rain.
A. there would be B. there will be
C. there have been D. there is
63. It’s important to locate industries in areas where a supply of raw materials is ______.
A. preferable B. available C. dependable D. favorable
64. The pilot lost contact with the military base, ______ the plane crashed in the desert.
A. among which B. for which
C. by means of which D. as the result of which
65. He’s lived in London ______.
A. since a long time B. for some time
C. long before D. some time ago
66. ______ the university is by examination only.
A. Admission to B. Permission in
C. Admission in D. Permission on
67. I remember ______ this person somewhere.
A. to have met B. to meet C. meet D. meeting
68. I did not realize you want to keep the letter, I have ______ it up.
A. torn B. picked C. pulled D. broken
69. I ______ you that the equipment will be delivered today.
A. persist B. confirm C. insist D. assure
70. As I am free now, I ______ as well go with you.
A. might B. would C. should D. could
71. I am going to the teacher, but you ______ with me.
A. need go out B. need not go
C. need not to go D. do not need go
72. A laser beam is used to ______ even the hardest substance.
A. pass through B. repair C. light up D. identify.
73. I could not ______ all the information given in the radio broadcast.
A. receive B. absorb C. admire D. deceive
74. TV, if properly used, can ______ a child’s imagination.
A. cause B. excite C. stimulate D. arise
75. Television keeps us informed about ______ events and the latest developments in politics and science.
A. current B. past C. favorable D. new
Part Ⅳ Cloze Test (10 points)
Directions:There are 10 blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are 4 choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the centre.
In the dining room of my grandfather’s house stood his heavy clock. Meals in the dining room were a __ 76 __ for our four generations to become one. My grandfather’ s clock always stood like a trusted old family friend, __ 77 __ us playing jokes and telling stories, which was already a __ 78 __ of our life.
When I was a child, the old clock interested me. I watched and listened to it during __ 79 __ . I was surprised how at __ 80 __ times of the day, the clock would strike three times, six times or more, with a wonderful great __ 81 __ that echoed throughout the house. The clock chimed year after year, a part of my __ 82 __ , a part of my heart.
Even more __ 83 __ to me was my grandfather’s special action each day. He meticulously __ 84 __ the clock with a special key each day. The key was magic to me. It __ 85 __ our family’s magnificent clock ticking and striking all year round.
76. A. time B. possibility C. problem D. pleasure
77. A. seeing B. hearing C. watching D. looking
78. A. start B. part C. signal D. mark
79. A. stories B. jokes C. periods D. meals
80. A. busy B. urgent C. happy D. different
81. A. shock B. sound C. song D. music
82. A. memories B. minds C. comfort D. information
83. A. comfortable B. hopeful C. wonderful D. skillful
84. A. opened B. wound C. turned D. started
85. A. made B. controlled C. kept D. fixed
Part Ⅴ Writing (15 points)
Directions:You are to write in 100~ 120 words about the title “Happiness”. You should base your composition on the requirement given below：
(1)What is happiness?
(2)Happiness is of great importance in everyone’s life.
(3)Happiness is related to health.